How are you all today?
I want to thank you all for coming to read my new blog post "Obtaining Fresh New Growth For Container Fruit Trees!"
Growing fruit trees in a pot can be very rewarding, but it can also be a little trick! Why?
Because we make it so, by having periods where we neglect our lovely fruit bearing trees! Yes, including me!
Nobodies perfect right?
At times we get snowed under and guess what gets neglected, the potted garden that we love and adore!
So, how can make it not a chore and keep that fresh new growth coming through on our fruit trees?
Well, below I have pinpointed some answers for you that I hope you will all benefit from! And if you have a container garden, then get some fruit trees too!
Please scroll down to read the rest of the article!
How To Keep Your Container Fruit Trees Healthy?
- Make sure you have a nice large free draining container at least 2ft and 2.5 feet in width across the top.
- No holes in the bottom of the pot means the water can't get away and oxygen isn't getting to the roots! Check the container above as a good example!
- Your container should have a reseviour in the bottom to catch the water as it goes through, so the fruit tree can have a drink when required. It's also a great place to store liquid fertilizer!
- Prune Citrus tree ever few months removing dead old growth! Cut a small distance away with the sharp blade on the inside to avoid crushing the stems.
- Liquid fertilize every fortnight with seaweed and fish emulsion for optimum health. Keep the mixture weak to avoid root burn. Mix it like a lite tea!
- Top dress the top of the container with fertilizer pellets and compost. Organic is best, I love Worm compost from my worm farm!
- Keep the top of the container, the potting mix out of the sun, roots should be kept cool. A sprinkle of mulch will help, or place other container plants around to shade that area.
- Citrus tree loves Garlic Chives, so grow some in the same pot for better growth and protection from scale.
- Give Your Container Fruit Tree A Hug!
If you would like to learn more about Apartment and Urban Garden then I highly recommend this new E-book The Guide To The Urban Gardener. Check it out by clicking the link here NOW! GUIDE TO THE URBAN GARDENER E-BOOK