Lately I have been having some fantastic success growing lettuce at home in containers.
Growing this style of salad plant can be a little trickier than you may think!
You see it's easy to grow nice looking Lettuce, but how will it taste?
Bitter,,,was yours bitter?
I bet you still don't know why?
Well, let me answer that question!
You must grow lettuce fast,,,fast growing lettuce tastes great and will not be bitter!
There are some tips to this and if you follow the list below you will be well on your way!
- Grow in deep pots that don't dry out!
- Use a quality potting mix and not the cheap crap stuff!
- Mix in a quality compost into the top layer of the potting mix
- Use water crystals around the roots of the lettuce to allow permanent water, as lettuce are very thirsty!
- Fertilize with worm wee and high nitrogen liquid fertilizers once a week.
- Water everyday
- Allow full sun, but shade in scorching weather
- Keep away from dry winds.
- Keep a consistent rotation of plants so you have lettuce all year round
- Plant varieties that you can pick as they grow
- Grow with their companions Strawberries for optimum health and flavour!
- Love the lettuce plants with all your heart