Your Steps For Success!
Below I provide some basic tips to get you started. Please review all the pages throughout this website and blog for a deeper insights into crops types, species, products, companion planting, pests, diseases, and anything we can dig up along the way!
* All plants need light to survive. They also need light to photosynthesize, produce flowers and, in turn, produce fruits. It is highly recommended that you provide a minimum of five to six hours sunlight if you want to gain the highest production.
* It is very important to use a top quality potting mix that is free-draining, holds moisture, and contains a wide range of nutrients. For optimum health, a high quality organic medium. Or an non-organic potted mix with a slow-release fertilizer added.
* Pots and containers can dry out very quickly when exposed to the harsh sun and winds. It is highly recommended that you use larger containers in the summer. This should slow up the drying out process.
* Use a mulch on top of the containers to help keep the roots cool. Once again, this also help slow down the evaporation process. Leave leaf growth over the top of the container to help shade the pot and root system.
* Consider the size and depth of each pot or container, will the plant benefit, and is it pleasing to the eye?
* When the plant needs a very large container consider purchasing a pot that has wheels for easy maneuverability. The can get very heavy.
* Consider using a combination of herbs and veggies in a larger container, preferably plant with companions for added benefits.